History Picture Gallery

Home History Entertainment Notice Board Societies & Groups Trade & Services Contact Directory Parish Council



This page shows Over History through photographs covering the last 100 years of village life.

( click on the picture image to view )

Admiral Veron in the high street and landlord Bob Lawrence - Believed to be about 100 years ago. Overcote Road. Originally called Chain Lane or Chain Road, this was taken from postcard in 1905. Neither barn remains Church End, thought to be some time before the First World War St Mary's Church, Over 1965 The Doles in about 1910  The floods of 1947. Metal stanchions were driven into the banks to stop them being washed away by the breach. The Asplin Family and a view down Glover Street. There used to be a pond on the corner of the green. This picture was taken from the Willingham Road looking towards Long Furlong. Part of the High Street can be seen at the top right. One of the old village ponds, picture taken around 1920's An early picture of the High Street looking towards the St Mary's church The junction of Glover Street, Long Furlong and Hilton Street, was originally called Blacksmiths Corner. In the centre is the memorial. An Early picture og Hilton Street The Jolly Millers on Willingham Road stood almost opposite the junction to Mill Road. King Street, originally known as The Duke of Cumberland Street in 1931 View looking down Long Furlong, with the Green on the right Holywell ferry 1914 Sandpit pond on the Longstanton Road still exists today, although the track leading into it has long gone. Church Farm, and the property orginally called The Swan at Church Corner are among the oldest in the village An old thatch cottage in West Street up for sale, but later demolished.  West Street, looking towards King Street A more recent picture of Hilton Street  View looking down West Street from Longstanton Road. To the left beyond the trees, the property now called Taverners is thought to have originally been the Red Lion. The thatch cottage in Overcote Road taken around the 1920's A Burrell steam engine, and a gang of local villagers in about 1910. The tall chinney to the right of the church was Walnut Tree bakery.


Planting a horse chestnut tree on the Green to mark the Queen's coronation in 1953  Over carival in the early 1930's taken in Long Furlong A church fete about 1910 in the grounds of the Old Vicarage. Over gentlemen sitting on the bench outside St Mary's church in 1904 Over Choral Society 1922 A Carnival 'float' at Fen End in 1929 Carival revellers in front of the Green in 1929 Overcote ferry from the Needingworth bank in the mid 1930's Cutting flowers to send to market before World War Two Church Nativity play - 1955 Over Ladies Band in 1935 Over 60's party in 1966 The 1947 floods at Chain Ditch  A group of villagers outside " Reubens Shop", the local tailor, taken about 1925.  The Kirby family from Meadow Lane about 1900 Local lads in Army exercises with the Northants Yeomanry in 1913 Local Defence Volunteers (Later Home Guard) outside Over Primary School in 1940. Suffolk Reg Wendover camp c 1916 Over British Legion Cricket Team winning the Adeane Charity Shield in 1939. Over "Hotspurs" in 1921, winners of the Histon Cup The Over Sports team 1948, winners of Division 3 Cambridge District League Len Carter, an ice skating and cycling champion with some of his winnings in 1932.  Over school pupils in Edwardian times Over pupils about 1924  

Should you find that the History Picture Gallery is missing photographs of what Over village looked like years ago, then please contact us with your photographs so we can up date these pages.

NO advertising of any nature which is deemed offensive will be placed on this website


Send mail to contact@overvillage.co.uk  about this web site or use the Feedback form.
Copyright © Over Village.co.uk